Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem-solving program for students in grades K-12 and college. The program provides students a creative outlet to develop their STEAM skills — science, technology, engineering, arts, and math — while working as a team to develop solutions that are presented at competitions around the world.
Pennsylvania Odyssey of the Mind has been operated entirely by dedicated volunteers since 1979, including regional directors, problem captains, and tournament officials. Many of our teams are coached by volunteer coaches. The nonprofit organization Creativity Unlimited in Pennsylvania coordinates the Odyssey of the Mind program in our state. CUinPA is an affiliate of the national not-for-profit organization Creative Opportunities Unlimited (COU). The CUinPA state board of directors sets policies and procedures for Pennsylvania Odyssey of the Mind.
Pennsylvania is divided into six regions, with each region conducting its own regional tournament, coaches’ training, and judges’ training. The top teams in each region advance to our State Finals tournament in April. The business of each region is conducted by that region’s board of directors, in accordance with the guidelines and policies established at the state level.
For information on regional events and regional contacts and officials, please click on your region below.
Creativity Unlimited in Pennsylvania (CUinPA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our mission is to foster creative problem-solving among students in Pennsylvania by offering and administering the Odyssey of the Mind program and other creative problem solving activities.
- To provide an educational alternative which develops students’ creative problem solving skills through experimentation, original thinking, and risk taking.
- To give students recognition and a sense of achievement. Improve students’ communication skills.
- To provide a program that encourages the development of cooperative learning strategies.
- To provide, at all age levels, a positive atmosphere where quality team work and competitive sportsmanship are exhibited.
- To cooperate with the educational community by providing students with the opportunity to participate in authentic performances.